GARAM MASALA RICE & VEGETABLES (2 OF 4), SERVES 4 © 2012
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1small onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. Spicely brand garam Masala
• ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
• 10 oz. bag of frozen vegetables or equivalent quantity of chopped fresh vegetables
• 1 cup of brown or white Basmati or other long grain rice
• 2 cups water
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. Pepper
• About a cup of chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or deep pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add garam masala and cayenne, if using (stand back. It may smoke up).
3. Add the vegetables; stirring to thaw and scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
4. Add the rice, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, simmering until water is absorbed (20 min for white and 40-50 for brown).
5. Turn off the heat and cover for 10 minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if using.